[CT Birds] Summer Tanager 4/23 New London

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 09:14:34 EDT 2010

I just received a report from Brian Chmielecki that he had a Summer Tanager at the Conn College Arboretum in New London yesterday (Friday - 4/23) afternoon.  Details are below.  I will not be able to get over there until late afternoon, but hopefully others will get a chance to see it before then.

Glenn Williams

from Brian:

There was a male Summer Tanager present between
5:00 p.m. and when I left at 6:45 p.m. The bird was foraging in trees in the
'upper area' of the Arboretum just inside the entrance and in some Service Berry
trees a ways off to the left as you are standing at the entrance. I was going to
file a formal report, but I see on the list that Summer Tanagers are not a
species which this is requested for. I know it is still a notable sighting, so
if anyone receives this message and wants to see if the bird is still present
Saturday they may be able to locate it. It crossed the road and flew toward the
College Campus after I first sighted it. I happened to re-sight it later when it
had returned to the Arboretum.
I think the chances of it remaining overnight are
reasonable, but I would be surprised if it remained there after
I hope anyone who may go has good luck. There were
also some Myrtle warblers and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher in the same part of the