[CT Birds] Purple Martins return to Coastal Center today

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Sat Apr 24 11:23:40 EDT 2010

4/24/2010

Male Purple Martins have returned to our Martin Box for the first time this year.  Last year, at least two males and three or four females raised 7-8 young in our box. With generous aid from the Connecticut Ornithological Association and individual donors, Connecticut Audubon will be erecting two new Gourd Trees for the Martins, one at Milford Point, and another at Stratford Point. With some luck, our colonies will continue to grow! Thanks to all who contributed.  We'll be sure to keep you posted on our Blog. Also, a Yellow-crowned Night Heron was seen at the edge of the Marsh, and 17 Great Egrets were feeding together with 1 Snowy Egret in the Marsh. It was quite a site.  Frank Gallo