[CT Birds] Summer Tanager NO

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 24 15:15:21 EDT 2010

I was headed out for a hike in Nehantic State Forest and decided I should
look for the Summer Tanager first. I was there from about 10:00 till 10:25
and hiked about a bit without success. A four mile hike in Nehantic turned
up few birds with one Louisiana Waterthrush, one Black-and-white Warbler, a
half dozen Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, and two Swamp Sparrows as the only
recently returned migrants. While lying in the grass next to a wooded swamp
and reading, I heard something moving in the water and saw the biggest
snapping turtle I think I have ever encountered. Also had my first odes
today, Springtime Darner and Common Baskettail. Gorgeous day.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England