[CT Birds] The Niche-Switch

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 25 08:46:20 EDT 2010

Steve,

Since a niche applies to all aspects of an organism's life, there is a major difference in the niches of Broad-winged Hawk and Long-eared Owl - time of year that they are resident in Connecticut.  With this the case, there must be many other less obvious niche differences between them.

I guess your question probably requires an answer more complex than "Nesting happens in summer and Broad-winged Hawks are a summer resident, Long-eared Owl is a winter resident."  I don't know what the complete answer is either.  It doesn't help that Long-eared Owls are so secretive that their nests are difficult to detect.  They nest annually in the state (proven or presumed, Greg?).  I don't believe that there is even one winter record of Broad-winged Hawk in the state.

Glenn Williams
Mystic