[CT Birds] Sherwood Island Sightings (8:30-10:49AM)

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 25 11:46:51 EDT 2010

4/25 - Westport -Sherwood Island SP -3 LEAST SANDPIPERS(FOY for me and Sherwood),4 GLOSSY IBIS,9 GREATER YELLOWLEGS,7 WILSON'S SNIPE,12 WILLET,BROWN THRASHER,GREAT EGRETS,SNOWY EGRETS

    Any day,no matter what the weather,is a good day to be birding. But,it's especially meditative being out in a gentle rain in springtime when the trees and grass are pastel shades of green and, whenever it rains,the park is more quiet, with less human visitors and  more feathered visitors. The sound of Willets was everywhere and the model airplane field was the spot to be this morning. The Glossy Ibis were out in the middle of the field as well as the Yellowlegs and Willets. I walked the edge of the marsh and spotted the sandpipers feeding along the water's edge. As I  headed back east,I spied 3 snipe in a depression in the field which I would have missed if I had only scanned with my bins from the parking lots. The Willets were all over the marsh, the field,and even at the edge of the parking lot. The Thrasher was atop a tree along the nature trail and I flushed more snipe on the east end of the park. Yes,any day is a good day to be birding,especially at Sherwood!

Tina Green

Westport