[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Banquet Reminder and May Schedule

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Apr 26 09:18:57 EDT 2010

Here is the schedule for the New Haven Bird Club's May activities.
Procrastinators, please note that the annual banquet is in less than
three weeks, and that advance reservations with choice of entree is
needed by May 5.

Larry Bausher, Publicity Director

Annual Banquet:

Thursday, May 13, 2010.  Annual Banquet, Open to the Public.  Guest
Speaker, Tim Laman, Ph.D - Birds of Paradise: Feathers of Seduction.
Amarante's Restaurant, 62 Cove St, New Haven.  Social hour at 6 PM,
dinner at 7 PM.  Reservation with choice of entree required by May 6,
$35.00 per person, cash bar.   For more information and banquet
reservation form visit www.newhavenbirdclub.org or call 203.288.3087.
Bring cash to participate in raffle.
When Tim Laman isn’t in the rain forests of Borneo, New Guinea, or
some other remote place taking photographs and documenting little
known or endangered wildlife, he’s at The Harvard Museum of
Comparative Zoology where he’s a Research Associate. But  tonight
we’re very lucky to have him here in New Haven.  Tim’s spectacular
photography includes dazzling images of Birds of Paradise —National
Geographic, for one, has publish-ed many of them. We’ll get to see a
number of species of these brilliantly colored birds. Males often
sport plumages with orna- ments such as ruffs, amazingly elongated
feathers, head plumes and fans, and breast shields. Photographed in
display postures, the birds show why “feathers of seduction” aptly
describes their plumages as they engage in their elaborate dances,
poses, and other rituals. But these birds are not easy to get to.
They reside in remote habitats, so Tim often has had to climb, while
carrying all his equipment, to blinds high in the forest canopy.
Photographic work is part of Tim’s career focus on endangered
species, biodiversity, and rainforest ecology. He believes that
promoting awareness through photography can make a difference for
conservation.  You’ll be inspired by these “divas of the avian world.

Field Trips:

East Rock Park with Ranger Dan Barvir.  Saturday, May 1, 8:00 AM Free
and open to the public.  Join Ranger Dan Barvir at this premier site
for warblers. We will meet at the Rice Field (baseball field) end of
East Rock Park.  This is a great location to see a variety of spring
migrants.  Leader-Ranger Dan Barvir: 203.946.6086.

Bird Walk for Kids at East Rock Park.  Saturday, May 1, 9:00 AM. Free
and open to the public.  On this walk by the park's Mill River,
children, accompanied by adults, will search for warblers and other
spring migrants. Other interested adults are also welcome to join the
walk in this famous spring birding site. Meet at the Eli Whitney
Museum parking lot. Bring binoculars and a field guide if you have
them.  Leader-Florence McBride: 203.288.6777, j.mcbride at yale.edu

Bent of the River Wildlife Sanctuary, Southbury.  Sunday, May 2, 7:30
AM. Free and open to the public.  Explore a prime birding location
along the Pomperaug River where more than 100 species of birds have
been observed in a single day. This beautiful and highly diverse, 650-
acre habitat is owned and maintained by the National Audubon Society.
Directions: Exit 14 off I-84. Go north on Rt. 172, to the village of
South Britain. Turn left onto East Flat Hill Rd. next to the church.
Continue to Sanctuary entrance on the left.  Leader- Chris Loscalzo:
203.389.6508,  closcalz at optonline.net.

First Wednesday Walk: East Rock Park, New Haven.  Wednesday, May 5,
8:00 AM. Free and open to the public.  Enjoy a mid-week bird walk in
one of the best places in the state to see warblers and other spring
migrants.  It’s not unusual to see 15-20 species of warblers there on
any given day in early May.  Rarities such as Prothonotary, Kentucky,
and Cape May warblers are possible.  Meet at the covered bridge by
Eli Whitney Museum. Leader, Luke Tiller.  Contact Tina Green:
203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Big Day Marathon.  Saturday, May 8, 6:00 AM. Free and open to the
Participate in all or part of this fun event. We’ll focus on New
Haven area hotspots, seeking 110-130 species. We start at East Rock
and search several other local migrant traps and the coast from
Lordship/Stratford to Hammonasset. Meet at the Eli Whitney Museum
parking lot at 6:00, or 7:30 AM if you prefer a later start.    Leader
—Randy Domina: 203.271.3123, rhexp at hotmail.com.

Cockaponset State Forest, Killingworth.  Sunday, May 9, 8:00 AM. Free
and open to the public.  We’re bringing back a trip from the past!
Join us as we seek out spring migrants and wildflowers on a special
1.5 mile hike through the State Forest. This section of Cockaponset
offers a variety of habitats: conifer and deciduous forest, marsh,
riverine areas, towering gneiss ledges, Along the way we’ll visit a
vernal pool hosting Marbled Salamanders. Be aware that the incline of
the last 1,000 or so feet will leave most of us breathing a little
heavily so we’ll take it slow. Meet at the Rte. 80/Rte. 81 commuter
lot at the traffic circle in Killingworth. The site is about 5 min.
from there.   Leader—John Himmelman: 860.663.3225, jhimmel at comcast.net

Nehantic State Forest, Lyme.  Saturday, May 15, 7:00 AM. Free and
open to the public.
Join us as we explore this 1,200-acre state forest east of the CT
River. The mature forest is home to Hooded and Worm-eating Warblers,
and many other species. There are large ponds where we can find
flycatchers, Wood Ducks, herons, and other water-birds. Meet at the
commuter lot at Exit 55, I-95 in Branford at 7:00 AM or the Keeny Rd.
park entrance, Rte. 156, Lyme, at 7:30 AM.
Leader—Chris Loscalzo: 203.389.6508,  closcalz at optonline.net

Barn Island Wildlife Management Area, Stonington.  Saturday, May 22,
7:00 AM. Free and open to the public.  This will be our 7th annual
trip to this excellent birding spot in southeastern CT. We meet at
the commuter lot at Exit 55 of I-95 and then carpool to the refuge.
The management area consists of large expanses of salt marsh, tidal
pools, wetlands, woodlands, and open fields. We should see wading
birds, shorebirds, and area residents such as Saltmarsh Sparrow,
Marsh Wren, White-eyed Vireo, and Willow Flycatcher.  Leader-Chris
Loscalzo: 203.389.6508, closcalz at optonline.net.

Migrants along Stratford’s Shore.  Sunday, May 23, 6:45 AM. Free and
open to the public.
We’ll bird the McKinney Refuge, Great Meadows Marsh, and two town
beaches in search of migrating passerines, shorebirds, and the area’s
specialties. Meet in the parking lot for 600 Long Beach Blvd.,
located off Rte. 113 (Lordship Blvd). The turn is opposite Duchess
Restaurant. Heavy rain cancels this trip.  Leader—Frank Mantlik:
203.984.9410, mantlik at sbcglobal.net