[CT Birds] Trans-gulf migration - fire up the slick??

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Wed Apr 28 07:25:49 EDT 2010

Steve & CT Birders,

Setting fire to oil slicks is a mitigative strategy, though not often employed as far as I know.
Fumes from any grade oil can be fatal to birds and mammals, causing pneumonia, internal lesions,
lung damage.
This situation is a catastrophic nightmare that's not going to end soon - beyond current capabilities
for quick remediation.  It may well reach or even surpass the magnitude and environmental impact of
the Exxon Valdeez disaster which continues to this day.  This certainly should give President Obama
serious doubts about allowing more oil drilling off the Atlantic and Gulf coasts.

Meredith Sampson
Old Greenwich