[CT Birds] Trans-gulf migration - fire up the slick??

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Apr 28 08:21:14 EDT 2010

They would almost certainly be consulting with the USFWS and state wildlife agencies on the relative impacts of a landfall vs. burning.  I suspect that landfall would be viewed as the worst case scenario for birds, as there are many high conservation concern species for which a landfall could be catastrophic, e.g. Snowy and Wilson's Plovers, Reddish Egret, American Oystercatcher, Brown Pelican, possibly Black Rail if it reaches Florida, and potentially foraging areas for Roseate Tern.     I wouldn't venture to say which impact would be worse, the smoke from the fire on migrants or the direct oiling of birds from a landfall or nearshore encroachment, but I can say that neither option is particularly good and there probably aren't any good answers for this situation, which is still unfolding as they still haven't figured out how to stop the leaking.

Patrick Comins, Meriden.