[CT Birds] Stratford yard, migrating hawks

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 28 12:55:07 EDT 2010

4/28 (wow... still no BWWA... sorry, Blue-wings), Stratford yard/wood edges (facins SW)-

(1) House Wren (just in time, Jim!) (FOY)

(5) Towhees

(1) Catbird

(1) Black-and-white Warbler

(1) Yellow warbler (heard from inside woods)

(6) Vultures circling over some carrion near Chapel School (5 Turkey, 1 Black)

(1) Common Raven (I wonder if they kept the near-by nest or not?)

My yard spacing and facing is perfect for spring hawk migration.  I stayed out in slight rain, and strong winds and recorded the following:

(3) Broad-wings in a kettle (low, circling... almost hanging around)

(2) Red-tails (my locals)

(1) RS Hawk

(1) Cooper's hawk

(2) Sharpies

(2) American Kestels

No Baldie today.  Keep your eyes up because everywhere, whether gulls or raptors, big birds are lobing the wind.

***Boothe hawkwatchers interested in finding out about installing Bluebird boxes??  My only space ner me to see them, other than fly overs my yard, is there.  Great habitat for them.  There are a few along the cemetary, but I doubt they are in good shape.  Too me, the money spent on feeding 50+ parakeets (budgies) in a small hut could be spent on wild birds to make an already beautiful park into a little more nature based.  Swallows gather in large numbers at the right time there (NRW, Tree, Barn, Bank, Cliff.... even swifts), so boxes would be a good idea.  I don't know how the 'remodeling' will effect that (May 16th is a re-opening).***

Brian Webster
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com