[CT Birds] Yellow-throated Song

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Wed Apr 28 15:21:05 EDT 2010

First of all, thank you Carolyn for your post. Secondly, there can be variations in song with individuals within a species. Of course there are different song types within the same species as well. I have heard a Yellow-throated sound quite like Nashville Warbler before. The moral of the story is to not consider recordings as the only way all members of a species will sound. It is a darn good starting point and most individuals will be very close to the standard songs. However some will surprise you. Remember, in most songbirds, song is mostly (if not entirely) learned, not instinctual. So some odd variations exist. Lastly, in regard to this location, I would suggest looking through any Yellow-rumped Warblers during migration. I was once walking a path with several birders when we came across a flock of migrant Yellow-rumpeds. I stopped and looked through them when one of the other birders told me to "Come on, they're just Yellow-rumpeds." Well all of them were, except the one Yellow-throated Warbler in the flock. A birder's variation of "Never assume..."

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.