[CT Birds] Southport Survey #130

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Apr 29 10:22:53 EDT 2010

Southport Survey # 230 This is the last survey of the season.

The tide was low and Sunken Island completely exposed. The water
started out calm but soon had white caps from the northwest wind. It
was clear enough to see the Empire Stat Building. This time I just
noticed I can see the Cormorants that nest on the Norwalk Islands as
black specks! Off shore was empty except for 1 Common Loon, a Fly-by
Long-tailed Duck and a Red-breasted Merganser. Way out were a couple
of flocks of Cormorants. Along the rocky shore from Pine Creek Beach
to Burying Hill Beach were 15 Great Egrets dotted along the shore
like sentries. At the Harbor bridge I found nesting Barn Swallows,
Tree Swallow, and Rough-winged Swallows. The Yellowlegs were on the
flats in the harbor. And, there was one lone Bonaparte’s Gull at
Southport Beach

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	4/11	4/15	4/20	4/29