[CT Birds] Solution?? too late

John Ogren northernrail at comcast.net
Thu Apr 29 18:05:32 EDT 2010

Hi all,
  We are looking at possibly  the biggest environmental catastrophe that has ever happened.
  I understand the need for drilling oil whenever, wherever, we can until we can find suitable means to replace our needs. I can't understand why there is not a safety factor involved in all this, that when something goes wrong the default system  closes a valve. Whether it is at the bottom of the ocean or at 20 feet below or whatever..
   Railroad cars have an on line air system to operate the brakes. The brakes are always on until something interrupts the line (the train hooks up and pressurizes the system), the brakes at that point release and the train moves.
   Why can't drilling rigs employ the same system. The oil is shut off at the first valve until that valve has been pressurized from the platform. AS soon as that pressure stops, i.e. from an explosion, that valve automatically will close off any escaping flow.
   I am not an engineer but it would seem to be pretty obvious that a system like this should be in place.
John ogren