[CT Birds] Birdcraft Warblers ++

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Fri Apr 30 11:45:46 EDT 2010

There was a fairly decent number of warblers at the Birdcraft
Sanctuary in Fairfield this morning. When I arrived it was rather
quiet and as I was turning onto my second lap....BOOM! Warblers and
Vireos were suddenly everywhere! For about 20 minutes I had a frenzy
of birds frantically feeding in the canopy at the high trail near the
bridge. It then quieted down a little as the birds began to spread out
through the sanctuary. Still, there were bunches of warblers in 3
different spots at the time I left.

Unfortunately, many of the warblers went unidentified because of the
fact that it was cloudy coupled with them being so high up.

Here's the list of migrants I was able to come up with:

Blue-headed Vireo (1)
Yellow-throated Vireo (4)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (8)
Hermit Thrush (5)
Gray Catbird (1)
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (2)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (1)

now onto the warbs.........

Northern Parula (3)
Blue-winged Warbler (1)
Yellow Warbler (1)
Blackburnian Warbler (1)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (30+)
Black-throated Green Warbler (15)
Palm Warbler (2)
Black-and-White Warbler (12)
Northern Waterthrush (4)

Unidentified Warbler (10)

The Birdcraft is a fantastic spot and when the conditions are right,
is dripping with migrants.

Alex Burdo