[CT Birds] Stratford/Fairfield warblers and migrants

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 16:35:22 EDT 2010

I was not able to get out for long during the day, but I found what I could
as I went along. CAS Birdcraft was probably the best spot in the state today
owing to it being a migrant trap and its location on the SW coast. Alex
Burdo posted a very good rundown of what was there. He did a great job. I
did not stop by until the afternoon but a quick search yielded:

1 OVENBIRD (seen and amusingly not heard at all, skulking in dead leaves -
what a surprise)
1 Blue-winged Warbler
1 Northern Waterthrush
2 Northern Parula
4 Black-throated Green Warbler
5 Black-and-white Warbler
2 Palm Warbler
~25 Yellow-rumped Warbler
2 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
1 Yellow-throated Vireo
1 Blue-headed Vireo
2 Hermit Thrush
3 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
2 Eastern Towhee

I did not have the Yellow or Blackburnian, but I added the Ovenbird. My
Stratford yard had 2 Blue-headed Vireo and a Yellow Warbler with some
Yellow-rumps deeper in the woods. Another House Wren showed up, and the
Towhee continue to come in numbers.

Last night we were stuck primarily with NW winds. Some birds obviously came
in, especially along the coast. NYC and points south had exceptionally heavy
migration. Apart from what was said on this list I've heard 15-20 species
totals for warblers from Central Park and other areas today. We will get
this tonight. The full brunt of migration will pour in on CT. You will be
able to find nearly any early to mid-May species tomorrow, with only the
latest 1/3 or so of the migrants still south. I'd expect the best spots to
still be along the coast.

Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT
Connecticut Audubon Society