[CT Birds] Barn swallow, chimney swift

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Fri Apr 30 22:10:33 EDT 2010

 Yesterday had my first BARN SWALLOW  singing at the sanctuary. Today had first CHIMNEY SWIFT at the sanctuary. Was unable to watch at dusk to see if bird used chimney, was too busy with late day admits, hatchling wood duck and killdeer. First orphaned babies of the season arrived Wednesday, three orphaned woodcocks from NY state.

 Have at least two male b. orioles coming to the feeders, no sign of the girls yet.

Today released a ruby- throated hummingbird and Baltimore oriole who had spent the last eight months in rehab coming in last September. It was a happy day for those birds. I also released a ring necked pheasant who had come in very badly injured over the winter.

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT