[CT Birds] Veery, gray catbird, Baltimore oriole, and assorted warblers - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 1 08:24:14 EDT 2010

Decided a local (Washington, CT) May Day bird walk was in order early this morning (1 May 2010, 6 till 8 AM). Walked down South St and on parts of Nichols Hill Rd here in Washington. Heard Baltimore oriole and gray catbird. Heard and saw two veery. A number of yellow-bellied sapsucker heard and seen (if there was a northwest CT "rare" bird alert this species would be too common to make that list). Had great looks at a male pileated woodpecker feeding on the ground by my neighbors house coming up our driveway, Heard ruby-crowned kinglet. Had a few wood warbler species: yellow-rumped (a small group of 10 or so),American redstart, and yellow warbler. Had one wood warbler that I could not see well enough to figure out, though I heard the bird's song well. What I was able to see of the bird, it had a yellow belly. The song was loud but short. It reminded me for some reason of the blue winged warbler but the song was much louder then a blue winged's song. My
 ear for warbler song has gone down hill a bit.

David W Babington
Washington, CT