[CT Birds] Bent and elsewhere

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sat May 1 15:49:39 EDT 2010

I spent from 6:15 to 10:30 at Bent of the River Audubon Sanctuary in Southbury.  I probably started too early for the temperature, but things livened up once I reached the cedar fields.  Highlights included Prairie Warbler, Blue-winged Warbler and Indigo Bunting in the cedar fields; Worm-eating Warbler in the usual spot past the wet area along the "main road"; HOODED WARBLER in the same area as the last few years, not far past the buildings; ORCHARD ORIOLE (adult male) by the parking area along the fence line with the horse farm.  Also plenty of Ovenbirds, Yellow-and Blue-winged Warblers across the street, several singing Wood Thrush, a singing Winter Wren on the behind the employee parking area on the start of the Cascade Trail.  And three Louisiana Waterthrushes; one along the river just after you leave the first fields, the second along the river at the start of the cedar fields, and the third at the wet area along the main road.  48 species total, 9
 warbler species.

At the Stevenson Dam where Rt 34 crosses the Housatonic River from Oxford to Derby there was a small swarm of Cliff Swallows, some crafting nests under the road.

At Osbornedale State Park in Derby highlights were American Redstart (male), Green Heron and 3 Solitary Sandpipers.  All were year birds; the heron and sandpipers were at the upper pond across the street from the Kellog center.

13 year birds for the day.   8-)

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT