[CT Birds] Wilton;Solitary Sandpipers

Mike Warner mjwarner at optonline.net
Sat May 1 17:12:49 EDT 2010

May 1, 2010,   2 pm.   Allens Meadows,  seemingly overnight, has gained their season supply of 3 Northern Orioles, 6 Yellow Warblers, 3 Warbling Vireos and  8 Savannah Sparrows.  Also present were a Great Crested Flycatcher, a Blue-winged Warbler and a lone Field Sparrow.  Hopefully the next push will bring in some of the more elusive warblers.  Leaving Allens Meadow, I drove straight across Rt. 7 into the parking lot where the State is finishing the compensating wetland for wetlands taken during the recent widening of Rt. 7.  This artificially created depression has a slow moving brook running through it and is intentionally studded with boulders and tree stumps.  I was very surprised to count  (ten) 10 Solitary Sandpipers and a single Killdeer.  Once the brush along the edges returns, this spot could turn into a little gem.

Mike Warner