[CT Birds] Stratford/Fairfield 10/12 warblers

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sat May 1 19:34:36 EDT 2010

Fairfield, CAS Birdcraft -- Highlight was 1 CANADA WARBLER I picked up on
the south side of the pond around 3:30. It gave at least decent views for
everyone who stopped by. Other warblers included 1 NASHVILLE, 15+ NORTHERN
PARULA, 2 CHESTNUT-SIDED, 1 MAGNOLIA, 1 BLACK-THROATED BLUE, ~10
YELLOW-RUMPED, 4 BLACK-THROATED GREEN, 15+ BLACK-AND-WHITE, 1 OVENBIRD, 3
NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, 1 COMMON YELLOWTHROAT. Other migrants included 3 GRAY
CATBIRD, 1 BLUE-HEADED VIREO, 1 BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, 1 SWAMP SPARROW, 2
EASTERN TOWHEE, 1 HERMIT THRUSH. Yes, it is a great place.

Stratford, Great Meadows IBA -- 56 species including 6 (surprisingly low)
warblers: 8 YELLOW, 1 MAGNOLIA, 1 PALM, 2 BLACK-AND-WHITE, 1 OVENBIRD, 3
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT. Other notables included 1 BALTIMORE ORIOLE, 7 LEAST
SANDPIPER, 1 YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON, 1 SWAMP SPARROW, 1 ROSE-BREASTED
GROSBEAK, 1 GRAY CATBIRD, 2 EASTERN TOWHEE, 2 HERMIT THRUSH, 1 BANK SWALLOW
(all 4 usual species), both YELLOWLEGS.

Stratford yard -- a quick listen yielded 5 warblers: 1 BLUE-WINGED, 2
NORTHERN PARULA, 2 YELLOW-RUMPED, 3 BLACK-THROATED GREEN, 1 BLACK-AND-WHITE.
Widespread HOUSE WREN and another GRAY CATBIRD.

Stratford Point -- Not exactly a good day to bird the Point with all the
activity in the water, but 2 RUDDY TURNSTONE were finally my FOY there.

I'll definitely be putting up a summary of the week at Stratford Point on
the CAS blog soon. I may also put together a short HD video of a
CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER bathing and a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH foraging, both at
Birdcraft, in the next few days. That will be on the blog as well.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT