[CT Birds] Arrivals and Eggs

Angeladimmitt at aol.com Angeladimmitt at aol.com
Sun May 2 20:25:39 EDT 2010

5/2 - New Milford/Gaylordsville garden - Hooded Warbler back on territory
where he's been the past 4 summers;  also FOY wood thrush, rose-breasted
grosbeak, Baltimore oriole, blue-winged warbler, ovenbird and red-eyed  vireo.
 (My own garden:  just the house wrens, two males dueling over  one
female).  And 6 DC cormorants at Gaylords bridge.
Question:  Who lays a tiny chalk-white unmarked egg this early?
Am.goldfinch?  Surely too early - no thistles yet.   Swainson's  warbler?    I found
two halves today, both the upper/rounded end  about 100 feet apart.   Don't
think the phoebe has hatched yet - she  was sitting today so I did not
disturb her - and I've never seen a phoebe's eggs  this pure white.
Angela Dimmitt