[CT Birds] Bent Birds

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun May 2 22:24:30 EDT 2010

I had depart early from the NHBC trip to Bent of the River Audubon Sanctuary in Southbury, but I think I know most of the notable birds.  To me the most remarkable was a Northern Waterthrush.  This is quite unusual for Bent though the habitat it was in was classic Northern despite being quite close to a place I heard Louisiana a few weeks ago.  It was first seen where the river trail is about to go into the woods, and a new wet area has been created by beavers.  It was then seen again a short way farther along the trail.

A Solitary Sandpiper was on some sand/gravel banks in the river just before the boardwalk.  An adult male Orchard Oriole was seen several times in the parking area.  The Hooded Warbler continues on territory past the buildings.  Prairie Warbler and Blue-winged Warbler were in the cedar fields, as well as being heard elsewhere.  A Nashville Warbler was seen (by me when I was alone) in the bushes along the road just north of the house.  Indigo Buntings were around.  A first of the year warbler for me was Northern Parula.

Bill Banks tells me he tallied 63 species, including 13 warbler species.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT