[CT Birds] Goldfinch nesting period

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon May 3 18:07:20 EDT 2010

If you check Greg Hanisek's "Ct Birds by the Season" booklet  you will see
that the normal nesting period for Goldfinch is mid-July to  mid-August, and
that is when I have always seen them really doing their mating  ritual.  I
don't know the likelyhood that they would nest earlier,  especially as a
group.  Even though a lot of the birds have brightened up  considerably, most
of them here do not seem to be in their full mating plumage  yet.
As to the birds at the feeders, I suspect that part of   the reason they
visit less is an abundance of natural feed available  now.

Don Morgan
Coventry