[CT Birds] Sherwood White-crowned Sparrow plus Highlights

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Mon May 3 21:08:04 EDT 2010

5/3 - Westport - Sherwood Island SP (6-7:30PM)- 1 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW,4 ORCHARD ORIOLES(1 adult F,3 1st summer M),3 BALTIMORE ORIOLES,2 AMERICAN REDSTARTS,COMMON YELLOWTHROATS,YELLOW WARBLERS,RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS,WARBLING VIREOS,EASTERN TOWHEE,BROWN THRASHER,MARSH WRENS(heard),LEAST,SPOTTED,& SOLITARY SANDPIPERS,LESSER & GREATER YELLOWLEGS,WILLETS,SNOWY & GREAT EGRETS,BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON

   I parked in the northeast corner of the East Beach Lot that lies between the Nature Center and LI Sound.As soon as I stepped out of the car,I spotted a gorgeous WC Sparrow sitting atop some brush where the trees begin again as you face the marsh.This corner was filled with birds flitting about and I didn't know where to look first.I saw the Spotted Sandpiper on the Sherwood side of the creek as I looked toward Burying Hill Beach and also 2 Common Loons on the water looking east.The model airplane field was productive again with Yellowlegs and the Solitary and Least Sandpipers, all feeding in puddles.Note that it's a good idea to view the field from different vantage points as the grass is longer than it looks and it's easy to miss seeing the birds in the many depressions in the field.Luckily the field was only being used by birds and no planes this evening.I had 60 species in 90 minutes.Wonder what I missed on the west side!

Tina Green

Westport