[CT Birds] Osbornedale, and Beacon Falls Bobolinks

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue May 4 11:29:14 EDT 2010

Early this morning I had singing and flying Bobolinks in the hay fields west of Rimmon Hill Rd in Beacon Falls.

The morning spent at Osbornedale State Park in Derby netted 52 species, including 12 warbler species.  To me the best were the two singing Northern Waterthrushes in the wet woods behind Picket's Pond, the first waterthrushes I have ever had at Osbornedale.  Year birds included Black-throated Blue Warbler (heard many, saw none), Black-billed Cuckoo (also heard-only, alas), Yellow-throated Vireo, Magnolia Warbler, Eastern Kingbird.  One song that had me wondering had the cadence of an Ovenbird but was far too soft and the tone was all wrong; it turned out to be a Common Yellowthroat, apparently a confused one.  Two Green Herons at the upper pond across the street from the Kellog center was a pleasant sight.  It has been years since the nested there but I always hope.  Also, one Solitary Sandpiper in that same pond.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT