[CT Birds] Flanders in Woodbury

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed May 5 20:50:08 EDT 2010

I spent a few hours this morning birding Flanders Nature Center (Van Vleck Farm and Nature Sanctuary) in Woodbury.  Not many migrants hanging around, but a few interesting birds.

One Hooded Warbler was singing on either side of the road by the red trail house building, in the areas with the wet understory.  That bird sang the standard Hooded song, and though I did not track it down I suspect with persistence it can be seen.

However I also encountered one, or possibly two, other Hooded Warbler that with a song nothing like the standard song.  My first encounter was on the north side of the loop on Ed Briggs Trail.  The cadence and tune put me in mind of some flycatchers - a bit of Olive-sided and Willow perhaps - but the tone was nothing like them.  While I was trying to find what bird was making the sound a Hooded Warbler made an appearance quite close and I took a moment from searching for the sound to admire the view.  Then as I watched it sang and I realized I had found my mysterious songster.

Later I was farther up Church Hill Rd past the parking area, where there is a wide path into the woods a tractor could take, and I heard the same sort of song again.  Sure enough, either another Hooded with the same aberration or the same one on the opposite side of its territory.

Otherwise there were no real surprises, except maybe that I had to work so hard for what I found.  I managed to pick a couple of Northern Parulas out from a very busy flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers.  There were good looks at a Pileated Woodpecker working on a rotten log, and of two pairs of Wood Duck on the pond on the Botany Trail.  A Louisiana Waterthrush was singing in the same area as the normal-song Hooded Warbler.  One Blue-winged Warbler, and one Black-throated Blue Warbler.  47 species total, 10 warbler species.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT