[CT Birds] Colebrook - Peoples State forest

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 5 22:09:04 EDT 2010

Today, a short morning trip to Colebrook and Peoples State Forest netted:
( birds of note)

Scarlet Tanager
Baltimore Oriole
Wood Duck
Spotted Sandpiper
Cliff and other Swallows
Great Crested Flycatcher
Blue gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Blue headed Vireo
Red breasted Nuthatch
Winter Wren
Wood Thrush
Hermit Thrush
Magnolia Warbler
Yellow rumped
Black & White
Black t Blue
Black t Green
Pos Canada - heardchirp
Oven Bird
C Yellowthroat
Purple Finch
E Towhee
Swamp Sparrow

All above are resident birds here, so migrants of little notice. Also many were only heard.

Paul - Douglas Carrier, Wayne Meagher

Yesterday, just before the big booming rain came out of the west, ahead of it was a movement of hawks in the threatening gray sky. I counted:
 3 Osprey
1 Ad Bald Eagle
3 Sharpies
1 Cooper
6 Broadwing Hawk
2 Kestrel

All were high and moving due northeast, so I believe most all were migrants.

Also 6 sp Warblers moved through the yard here in Harwinton, also including
a Hermit and Wood Thrush.

Paul Carrier

"Only by going alone in silence can you truly get
into the heart of the wilderness." -   John Muir