[CT Birds] Belated entry from CAS Croft Preserve, Goshen & amazing Woodcock behavior on video!

twan leenders tleenders at ctaudubon.org
Thu May 6 09:54:36 EDT 2010

A quick run into the Connecticut Audubon Society Croft Preserve in Goshen early yesterday morning (5/5/2010 - 6:30-8AM) resulted in a good list of species and many FOYs for me. Highlights were the presence of too-many-to-count-accurately BLACK-THOATED GREEN WARBLER, BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER, BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER and OVENBIRD. My first of the season LEAST FLYCATCHER, RED-EYED VIREO, LINCOLN'S SPARROW and CANADA WARBLER, the latter singing on last year's breeding grounds already. The full list of species observed is below.

The most amazing thing I observed though was a synchronized dance by two AMERICAN WOODCOCK taking place in the road at the entrance of the preserve. I had just gotten in my car and started driving when I noticed two birds interacting with one another on the road. Two woodcock, one slightly larger than the other, were performing a seemingly choreographed bird walk in a very deliberate back-and-forth manner, slowly making their way across the street. I managed to get a big lens on my camera and shoot a bit of video, which can be found on our blog (ctaudubon.blogspot.com). I have never experienced anything like it. Based on their interactions and size difference I am assuming that we are looking at an adult with a chick, but this could also be some type of courtship behavior or even territorial. I'd love to hear if anyone out there has any insights or similar experiences!

Canada Goose     4

Wood Duck     5

Hooded Merganser     3

Great Blue Heron     1