[CT Birds] Strange Hooded W. song

Hank Golet htg1523 at att.net
Thu May 6 15:01:29 EDT 2010

Roy,   Your Hooded Warbler singing a strange song story sounds like what I
went through yesterday.

  I was birding in Lyme off Joshuatown Rd and heard this loud three note
song that I could not place.  The only song I could relate any of to was the
last 3 notes of Chestnut Sided, (to meet 'cha) but this was much more
forceful.  I stayed with the bird and finally saw it singing and it was a
male Hooded.  I am making a songs of migration CD to send to my son who now
lives in Calif and I recorded this song.  Later I went to Mt Archer  to see
if the regular Hooded there had showed up  yet so that I could record the
standard Hooded song also.  When I opened the door of my truck the first
sound that I heard was a song very much like the aberrant one I had just
left a mile or so away.  I saw the Hooded singing and recorded his song
also.  When I returned home and listened to the two songs , they were very
much alike but not exactly.  All this jogged my memory and I do recall
hearing and seeing a Hooded sing an unknown song at Pleasant Valley, Lyme  a
few years ago.

  I have seen Hooded in these two locations over the years and it has always
been the standard weete, weete, weeteo.  I'm wondering if this different
song might be one they sometime use when first arriving.....  I listened to
a couple of CDs that I have, Peterson's Eastern and Central Bird Songs and
Peterson's Field Guides (Dick Walton) More  Birding by Ear. Peterson has the
stannard call only and Walton does not have the Hooded on the More Birding
by Ear CD... Mystery

Hank Golet, Old Lyme