[CT Birds] A Red shouldered Hawk observation

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 6 19:32:54 EDT 2010

Similar to TwanLeenders interesting description of courting Woodcocks, I also
had an interesting observation of a Red-shouldered Hawk I never saw before today.

I often see a female RS that habituates my yard and small pond daily. Today, I sat and
watched her on the branch she favors overlooking the pond. Soon she launched
from the perch, somehow twisting as she dropped through the very thick
Red Dogwood branches growing in the water, and caught a frog by extending her talons
into the water as an Osprey does. Then, as she was floating, took flight by
 whacking the water with her wings till in flight, also as an Osprey does.
However, to me, the most amazing feat was how she twisted and flew through the
 tangle of dogwood branches to reach her prey. To me it was an impossible feat indeed!

Paul Carrier  -Harwinton