[CT Birds] Strange Hooded W. song

Donna Rose Smith drsmith006 at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 7 09:03:16 EDT 2010

Hank and Roy and everyone:

I was at the Bent of the River yesterday and also had two Hooded Warblers calling/singing an alternate song. They seemed to be trying to determine who would win the female and the territory (only enough room for one.) I found them just beyond the barn in the old apple orchard.

As we know many warblers do sing an alternate song at some point in the season. This may be an under reported song for Hooded warblers. I have also noticed Baltimore Orioles often sing an alternate song when they first arrive on territory.

Good birding to you all.

Donna Rose Smith