[CT Birds] Washington, CT - Just a few "common" breeding birds

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 13 12:12:15 EDT 2010

I am not a "Lister" type birder anymore but always enjoy reading what birds have arrived in CT or that are moving through CT. I know I should have been up early the last few days as the cold front delayed the migration of lots of birds. Well I did get out this mid morning (10:30 AM and later, 13 May 2010) to bird my local area here in Washington, CT, South St and Nichols Hill Rd. A yellow-rumped warbler in a blue spruce on our property here. Finally had a good look at a scarlet tanager here on our property too, such a lovely bird. On South St and Nichols Hill Rd just amazed how many American redstarts I saw and heard, a number in my "regular" redstart area on South St. On Nichols Hill Rd several wood thrush and  two ovenbirds singing away. Lots of gray catbirds of course. Heard a veery on South Street also. A lovely Spring day with the regular "common" birds. Too many "land yachts" (SUV's) and trucks on the roads though. A simple way to fight global
 warming, don't drive an SUV.

David W Babington
Washington, CT