[CT Birds] East Rock Park, 21 Warbler species

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri May 14 13:43:46 EDT 2010

I spent from around 6:05 to 12:40 birding East Rock Park in New Haven* today, much of it with Mark Scott and another birder whose name I was not smart enough to get.  I totaled 57 species, including 18 warbler species.  My highlights included Wilson's Warbler (giant steps), Bay-breasted Warbler (down by the river), Canada Warbler, and Blackburnian Warbler (Trowbridge Drive).  A singing Swainson's Thrush up on Trowbridge was a special treat, as was a White-crowned Sparrow down near the river.

There were three warblers seen or heard by others that I did not get: Mourning Warbler (by the river, of course), Tennessee Warbler, and Nashville Warbler, bringing the total for warbler species to 21.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

*Parts of East Rock Park are in Hamden, but it appears to be a City of New Haven park.