[CT Birds] Banding at Birdcraft this week

Kathy Van Der Aue kvda at optonline.net
Fri May 14 09:23:18 EDT 2010

We only band Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and I think the weather cut
down on the birds during what is traditionally our busiest week.  It was
windy and we were rained out on Wednesday.  Even so, we banded some
interesting birds:

MAGNOLIA WARBLER 3
BLACKPOLL WARBLER 1
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT 1
OVENBIRD 2
GRAY CATBIRD 11
AMERICAN ROBIN 4
BROWN THRASHER 1*
YELLOW-SHAFTED FLICKER 2 *
COMMON GRACKLE 2
Recaptures:
WOOD THRUSH*
GRAY CATBIRD
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT
NORTHERN CARDINAL

*Notes:  The Flickers were caught together in the net, male and female, both
having brood patches, I assume as male & female both brood eggs.  The
recaptured Wood Thrush was a two year old bird when it was banded on May 17,
2007 thus, five years old and, the Brown Thrasher, a bird of concern in
Connecticut, had bred here in the past and we hope will again.

We also heard NORTHERN PARULA, BLACK-THROATED GREEN, WILSON'S, and YELLOW
WARBLERS.
 Birdcraft is located at 314 Unquowa Road, Fairfield , Connecticut.

Kathy Van Der Aue, Southport, CT
kvda at optonline.net