[CT Birds] Tree Swallow Help

Elaine Taylor etbchs at aol.com
Sat May 15 16:27:05 EDT 2010

Tree Swallows settled in the bird house-same one as last year. We recently put up another house for our Blue Bird population about 75 feet away from the Tree Swallows. I noticed that the activity around the first house had slowed and the activity around the new house increased by both BB and TS. I thought perhaps the Tree Swallows were actually fledglings, so I checked the Tree Swallow house. I wasn't even "attacked" as would be the case in the past. I carefully opened the box door and slightly tipped the top of the nest enough to peek inside..and 4 little eggs were there-abandoned by the mom. Is it possible that the Mom just up and left her babies or is it normal that she would fly about during the day and nest on the eggs from time to time. I see the Swallows peeking inside, but no one goes in anymore-even before I looked at the nest or put up the new house. What do you suppose is going on?