[CT Birds] Osbornedale Sunday

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun May 16 12:42:45 EDT 2010

I spent over five hours birding Osbornedale State Park in Derby this morning, both sides and from one end to the other.  The highlights were two heard-but-not-seen Mourning Warblers, and three widely scattered Lincoln's Sparrows.  (The Mourning is my 146th species there.)  Other interesting birds included Magnolia Warblers, Canada Warblers, and Worm-eating Warbler (24 warbler species total), as well as three Solitary Sandpipers and a pair of unidentified peeps.  56 species in total. My thanks to Maria Stockmal for reporting the Mourning Warbler yesterday.

One of the Mourning Warblers was across the street from the Kellog center, taking the trail to the left of the ponds; it was just where the trail passes between some trees.  The second was at the far end of the park just before you reach the first open fields when you take the red trail up the west side of the park, where it has started to transition from woods to brush.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT