[CT Birds] Sandy Pt. Whimbrel

MARIA STOCKMAL m.stockmal at snet.net
Sun May 16 13:39:34 EDT 2010

Today while monitoring the Piping Plovers I had a Whimbrel. It flushed was out as I was walking around the fenced area of the plovers.  It was being chased by a crow as I left.  I found the bird in the lagoon and it was flying out to the Sandy Pt. sand bar with the crow still chasing it.  Also, two Black-bellied Plovers, about 15 Least Terns:  one male gave a fish to a female and she accepted.  A good sign compared to last year when this activity didn't take place.  Three Common Terns, one Clapper Rail kekking, Brants are still in high numbers, and around 50 Cormorants out on the rocks.
Maria Stockmal