[CT Birds] North Haven - Black-billed Cuckoo, Yellow Warblers

Rick Baumhauer rick.baumhauer at gmail.com
Sun May 16 20:07:18 EDT 2010

Paid a visit to what my fiancee calls "the best wildlife refuge EVER" - that is, the shopping centers in North Haven along the edge of the Quinnipiac River Marsh Wildlife Area, where she can walk to several different stores when she gets tired of watching me take pictures of birds.

In addition to the usual residents (nesting Osprey pair and interlopers, a flyover Red-tailed Hawk, many American Crows, several Northern Rough-winged Swallows, several Red-winged Blackbirds, Mallards, several gull species), there were a few Yellow Warblers singing, and one brief sighting of a bird I could not immediately ID.  The curved bill made me think "thrasher", but there was no streaking on the breast.  Finally, after importing my pictures into Lightroom, a distinctive red eye-ring became visible, and iBird Pro gave me the true ID - Black-billed Cuckoo, a life bird for me.

The area, for anyone not familiar, runs along the marsh on the west and south sides of the shopping center on the west side of the road.  The shopping center has a Best Buy, Toys/Babies R Us, Petco, etc.  I usually park behind the shopping center and walk along the edge of the parking lot toward the street.  In addition to the birds mentioned above, we've also seen a skunk in this area in the past, in broad daylight.

Rick Baumhauer
Hamden, CT