[CT Birds] Killdeer nest and a Community Garden plan in California question

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 17 09:44:28 EDT 2010

I had a message, via Facebook, this morning from a cousin in southern California concerning a killdeer nest problem he has. My cousin is working on building a Community Garden in a lot that has been vacant for over 70 years. My cousin noted a killdeer nest with four eggs, recently laid, while walking around this vacant lot they plan to turn into a Community Garden. My cousin's problem with the killdeer nest is that on Saturday, May 22 (Great American Clean Up Day) there are plans to build a raised garden in this vacant lot. My cousin said his plan was to build the garden around the killdeer nest but he was looking for any advise as what to do about the killdeer nest and their garden building plan. My cousin said that behind the vacant lot is a Verdugo Wash. Would appreciate any advise that I could pass on to my cousin on his killdeer nest problem.

David W Babington
Washington, CT