[CT Birds] Naugatuck State Forest - Olive-sided Flycatcher

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon May 17 11:37:31 EDT 2010

Around 10:25 this morning I had an Olive-sided Flycatcher in Naugatuck State Forest.  I was at the very end of the road, by the big field.  The bird was, as expected, perched at the top of a dead tree, the highest point around, and singing.  A few minutes later it disappeared, but I relocated it (or a different one) a few minutes later.  Describing that location is going to be a challenge.

Go to the very end of the road.  To your left is a locked green gate blocking a forest road.  Walk down that road, then take the first left.  That leads you to a field opening up to the left of the path you are on.  The first possible right turn is littered with large bits of trees, refuse from a logging operation.  The second right is wide and clear.  Taking that, as you go down a bit there is a screen of trees to your left.  Behind that screen there is a tall, dead tree.  When I left (11:30?) an Olive-sided Flycatcher was perched in that tree, singing and fly catching.

Otherwise there were no real surprises to my morning.  51 species total, 14 species of warblers of which only the Magnolia Warbler was a bit of a surprise.  Having Lincoln's Sparrow again today was nice, as was my first Least Flycatcher of the year.  I did not get deep into the forest today.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT