[CT Birds] Brown Creeper with young

paul cianfaglione pcianfaglione at hotmail.com
Mon May 17 16:32:07 EDT 2010

Last Saturday (5/15) on my way home from work, I stopped along Town Forest Road in Simsbury to listen for some new migrants. I didn't hear much, but I did notice a suspicious acting Brown Creeper favoring one particular tree. After a few minutes of observation, I discovered a pair of motionless fledglings clinging side-by-side together. I thought this was kind of early for this type of sighting, so I consulted "Birds of North America Online" for some additional information. Here's a few creeper tidbits. In most populations in U.S. and Canada, nestlings seen as early as June 3rd, and fledglings by June 18th. Whether this observation is a result of a warmer than usual spring is anybodys guess. My guess would be just a clear lack of knowledge about a common North American species. To prove that, there are no confirmed cases of second or later broods for the species. Can you believe that! We know more about the occurance of Fork-tailed Flycatchers and other far-flung birds than we know about birds in our own backyard!

Paul Cianfaglione