[CT Birds] Naugatuck State Forest

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon May 17 20:15:16 EDT 2010

> ... how does one get to NSF (Naugatuck State Forest) now?

Exit 26 from Rt 8 onto Rt 63 North.  (Actually you are heading West at that moment.)  That puts you on a bridge that crosses the river and the railroad.  Choose the center lane once you have a choice.  The road curves to the right.  Right after the curve turn left onto Scott St, which is steep.  Then take the first left onto Lewis St.  Lewis passes through a neighborhood and then becomes Hunter's Mountain Rd.  It then climbs steeply as it twists around a bit.  When you get to the top it passes through a small neighborhood, then back into the woods.  When you see a green gate on your left you have reached NSF.  If you follow that road to the very end you will be at the field "everyone knows".  Part way there you have a choice of making a left turn that takes you past a powerline cut, past a shooting range, and down the gorge to the end at the railroad/river.  You can no longer drive through along the railroad to Beacon Falls, that has been closed.  There
 is far, far more that could be said about birding there.  I got my first information from the Devine & Smith book on birding places in CT; some of it is out of date, but it could get you started.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT