[CT Birds] Birding Classes at Milford Point

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Tue May 18 12:52:13 EDT 2010

Hi All.  Here's a list of the classes I'll be offering at the Connecticut Audubon Society Coastal Center at Milford Point (we need a shorter name) starting next week.  I hope you can join me.  We always have a great time, and birding with others is an enjoyable and quick way to improve your birding skills. If you've been thinking about giving it a try, May and June are great months for seeing birds...  so, just do it!  See you at the Point..  Frank Gallo, Director

Birding for Beginners
Tuesday, May 25, 7-9 p.m. (classroom),
Saturday, May 29, 9-11:30 a.m. (field trip).
Learn the basics for identifying birds on your own. Frank Gallo is an enthusiastic teacher who will cover choosing and using field guides and binoculars, how to identify birds, and where to find them in our area during this comprehensive hands-on course. You’ll acquire the tools you need to identify birds yourself! The course culminates with in-the-field experience at a local birding hot spot. No experience necessary. Bring the “Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds” (which will be for sale at the Coastal Center). Please register before May 22. Fee: $55 CAS Members, $85 Non-members.
Early-Bird Walks on Saturdays
May 29 & June 5, 8-9 a.m.
Would you like to share your interest in birds and learn identification tips from others? Here's a chance to see old friends, meet new ones and get your bird ID questions answered. We'll concentrate on the basics and learn from one another as we search for migrants with Frank Gallo on the productive beaches, marshes, mudflats and forests of Milford Point. More than 315 species (out of CT’s total of 423) have occurred at Milford Point! Fee: $5 CAS Members, $7 Non-members.
Sorting Out Bird Songs
Thursday, June 10, 7-9 p.m.
Bird song is all around us. It can be lyrical or lazy, haunting or harsh, inconspicuous or breathtakingly beautiful. It is also an incredible aid to finding and identifying birds. Instructor Frank Gallo is an avid student of bird song. He will introduce participants to the basics of birding by ear, covering available resources, as well as the tips, tricks and pitfalls to ID'ing birds by sound. Is that an oriole or a tanager singing? Come find out as we delve into the basics of birding by ear. Fee: $35 CAS Members, $55 Non-members.
New! Citizen Science Breeding Bird Survey & Training,
Saturday, June 19, 9 a.m.-noon (field trip).
Interested in becoming a CAS citizen scientist trained to do bird survey work throughout the state?  Then join CAS staff for a half-day survey training course during the peak of songbird breeding season. Participants will gain experience with visual and auditory survey techniques and receive points toward their CAS citizen science accreditation. Fee: $45 CAS Members, $75 Non-members.
Family Birding:
Saturday, June 5, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
Teach a child about birding. Through a series of interactive activities, participants will learn the basics of bird identification before venturing out for a birding tour of the property. All equipment is provided. For children 6 years & older who must be accompanied by an adult. Fee (includes 1 child & 1 adult): $25 CAS Members, $45 Non-members; add $10 for each additional child.