[CT Birds] Please reply: Kentucky and Hooded Warblers and where are the chestnut-sided?

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue May 18 16:52:23 EDT 2010

>  I'm hoping some of the several experts who post here will
> provide some insight to these questions.
> (1) Several sightings of hooded and kentucky warblers have
> been posted. Isn't it a bit far north for these
> species?  Is there any indication that they are
> expanding their ranges northward, or is this year unusual?

Kentucky Warbler is actually past its range here.  We get very few reports, and I am not sure there has been even one confirmed nesting in CT in the last ten years and more.  Very tough to see most years.

Hooded Warbler is a widespread nester in CT, at least in some part of the state.  I have had them on territory at Bent of the River in Southbury, at Flanders in Woodbury, and in Naugatuck State Forest in Naugatuck.  Up in Kent they are traditionally found along Schaghticoke Rd and have been reported from there already this year.  A friend who lives in Newtown has them nesting again in her back yard.  I think it is Brian Webster who has them nesting near his home in Stratford.

> (2) Why are there so few chestnut-sided warblers this
> year?  I haven't seen a single one yet, and I spent two
> days at River Road in Kent as well as two trips to East Rock
> Park.

Good question for which I don't have a good answer.  Maybe they are just late.  You are not the first one to say that they are missing at River Rd in Kent.  I have had them in the usual spots in Naugatuck State Forest and other places, but possibly fewer than usual.

> (3) Have yellow-throated warblers been seen in Connecticut
> recently?  Would they be considered very rare this far
> north?

There is one out in eastern CT that has returned for a second (at least) year.  There may have been some other one-time sightings, but that is the only reliable (but hard to find) one.  Most years there are only one-time sightings, and few of those, so that is pretty good.

> (4) I see baltimore orioles everywhere this year; at least
> five times more than I am used to.  Is it just my luck
> or is it true that there seem to be more than usual?

I started noticing what seemed to me to be an increased number of Baltimore Orioles a few years ago.  I think it was just me getting more in tune with things.  This year seems about normal to me, but that's just me.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT