[CT Birds] Stratford 16 warblers/rare flycatchers

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Thu May 20 20:24:14 EDT 2010

 From Scott Kruitbosch, Twan Leenders, & Lauren Curtis:
05/20/10 - Stratford, Great Meadows IBA -- 87 species including 16 warblers:
1 MOURNING WARBLER, 1 OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, 1 BAY-BREASTED WARBLER, 2
ALDER/ACADIAN FLYCATCHER (likely one of each), 1 WHITE-EYED VIREO, 1
PECTORAL SANDPIPER, 4 WILSON'S WARBLER, 1 SEASIDE SPARROW, 3 SALTMARSH
SPARROW, 2 LINCOLN'S SPARROW, 1 ORCHARD ORIOLE, 1 SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 8 MARSH
WREN, ~16 BOAT-TAILED GRACKLE.

A photo of the Olive-sided Flycatcher and more can be found at
http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com<https://webmail.ctaudubon.org/owa/redir.aspx?URL=http%3a%2f%2fctaudubon.blogspot.com>.
Several of us heard the Mourning Warbler singing only a few meters away,
including Charlie Barnard (who heard it first, go Charlie!) and Penny Solum.
It was, as usual, in deep cover. I believe I was the only one who caught a
brief glimpse of it. I started the day with point count surveys at the
Darien Land Trust. That yielded 13 warbler species, none rare, all among
species I listed from Stratford but also Pine and Black-throated Green.
Tomorrow should be a very active day as well.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT