[CT Birds] White Foundation, Thursday 5/20

Schlesinger, Lee Lee.Schlesinger at purchase.edu
Fri May 21 09:28:38 EDT 2010

Leaves are almost fully out, the air is fragrant with honeysuckle and cherry and Russian Olive; birds were fairly active but not easy to see.

Birding from 7:15 AM until almost 3 PM:  about 75 species.  I encountered a couple of small groups of migrants--not much; Apple Hill was best, but I got there mid-afternoon and the birds weren't all that forthcoming.

Noteworthy species:

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Solitary Sandpiper
White-Crowned Sparrow
Blackpoll Warbler
Black-Throated Blue Warbler
Tennessee Warbler
Chestnut-Sided Warbler
Yellow-Throated Vireo
Blue-Headed Vireo
Boblink
Virginia Rail
Red-Breasted Nuthatch
Gray-Cheeked Thrush
(?--I don't know that I can identify this bird just on the basis of field marks, but it did have a distinctly rusty tail...) Bicknell's Thrush