[CT Birds] new osprey nest in Orange

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Sat May 22 17:03:53 EDT 2010

5/22  Orange
9:40AM on Merritt Pkwy, heading north by exit 56 is a cell phone  tower.
As I was preparing to get onto the Merritt at exit 56, I  noticed an osprey
soaring with a fish in its talons.  It circled and then  landed on the cell
phone tower and there was its mate sitting very erect on the  nest in the
tower.  At that point traffic was picking up and I had to get  on to the
Merritt, but this is the first time I have noticed ospreys at that  location.  A
neighbor mentioned seeing 2 ospreys sitting in trees on the  right side of
Wright's Pond which is  a few hundred feet (maybe) from the  cell tower.
Birding & driving are a rough combination.
So now there are ospreys nesting at the cell tower at the Orange dump as
well as the cell tower by Exit 56 on the Merritt.
Bev Propen, Orange