[CT Birds] NHBC Stratford trip results, and Skimmers

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 23 21:29:40 EDT 2010

5/23 From Frank Mantlik, with New Haven Bird Club trip to Stratford shore spots (McKinney NWR, Long Beach, Lordship Seawall, Short Beach, Deluca Field), 6:45am - noon :  89 species, including great views of a Clapper Rail, 14 species of shorebirds including 1 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER (Short Beach), White-eyed Vireo, 4 Brown Thrashers (Short Beach), 15 species of warblers including Bay-breasted (McKinney), 4 Saltmarsh Sparrows, Bobolink, Orchard Oriole, and 10+ BOAT-TAILED GRACKLES.  Among the tally was a pale-winged Sterna tern (among a few Commons) with a partial black eyestripe/cap that I called a Forster's Tern.  But later on, I realized it may have been a 1st-year Arctic Tern.  This was at "Avco Cove" behind Deluca Field on the Housatonic River.  I saw it only in flight, and I didn't get the best look at it as it was always flying away into the easterly wind.

Then tonight at 8pm while watching the sunset at Long Beach, Linda & I had 2 BLACK SKIMMERS flying east, skimming, right in front of our car (high tide).