[CT Birds] Regarding the blue grosbeak at East Rock

Robert Maleski maleski at msn.com
Mon May 24 05:46:25 EDT 2010

There is a tall, distinguished, gray haired gentleman who wears a blue windbreaker with a local union emblem and a Notre Dame baseball cap, who often birds there.  He also saw the blue grosbeak as closely as I did, and he will corroborate it.  I forgot his name, but it may be something like Tom Commins.  He had a continuous view of the bird from fifteen feet away for what seemed like three or four minutes. He could not take his eyes off the bird and he thanked me profusely for a life list addition.  He also lamented not having a camera.

I am by no means an expert, but I have seen many indigo buntings and blue grosbeaks, including a mixed flock of about fifty at Dauphin Island, which was about 80% indigo buntings and 20% blue grosbeaks.  I zeroed in on the distinctive wing markings.  The bird had a rather thick beak and when it perched it gave the impression of a tuft shape rather than a rounded head.

While anything is possible, and I don't mean to start controversy, I suggest keeping an open mind on this one, because I believe it was a blue grosbeak.

Bob