[CT Birds] Gull ID wanted (from Massbirds)

Kathy Van Der Aue kvda at optonline.net
Mon May 24 07:57:58 EDT 2010

The message below was posted on MassBirds.  Can anyone ID this gull for this
person?  I can't quite make it fit anything in my book.

Kathy Van Der Aue, Southport, CT
kvda at optonline.net

Perhaps my eyes are just tired as I've been shooting roseate and common
terns and shorebirds all week.

I found this gull this afternoon among a group of ring bill gulls and it
stuck out like a sore thumb.

Large bird...a bit larger than a herring but a bit smaller than a great
black back gull.

The things which caught my eye were the yellow bill with a near solid
black tip, a very robust bill, yellow green legs, what appeared to be a
very long neck and to me, a strange combination of clean white upper
plumage combines with the grey and brown as you move back.

Here's a link...if you could end my confusion it would be greatly
appreciated!

http://www.pbase.com/soonipi1957/image/124806061/original

Jim Fenton
42 11th Ave