[CT Birds] Ovenbird rescue, window strike, Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 25 10:48:20 EDT 2010

While sitting at the breakfast table this AM (Tuesday, 25 May) and looking out the large window by the table at our local eastern phoebe there was a crash of bird on the other side of the window. Looking outside on the cellar doors there was a small bird in distress. I quickly got our emergency bird rescue box and went outside. The bird was an ovenbird that appeared to be just stunned. I put the ovenbird in the emergency bird rescue box, and old shoe box, and put the box in the sun. About 5 minutes later I went to check on the ovenbird, moving away from the house so if the bird flew it would not hit a window. I held the bird in my hands for all of about one minutes when the bird flew out of my hands to a large hemlock tree. I suspect the ovenbird did not see the UF anti-bird strike stickers on the kitchen window because the bird hit the window from an angle. While I have heard ovenbirds this year I have not seen one. Now I have seen and held an ovenbird
 in my hands.

David W Babington